Sunday, January 11, 2015

1/11/15

        The last two weeks over winter break have given me an opportunity to work more and figure out my ultimate goal for this project. Last week I made a hair appointment, originally planning to only cut off a few centimeters, until a friend suggested I donate it. At first, I did not even consider it, then at the salon I told my hairdresser to cut off as many inches as I need in order to donate it. About an hour later, in my hand I held a ponytail of hair and I was feeling about ten inches lighter. I chose to donate it, because when my friend had mentioned it to me I thought about the kids that aren't nearly as fortunate as me to even have a full head of hair. I figured it was the least I could do for these people fighting cancer, and it perfectly tied into my project. I donated my hair to a non-profit charity known as Locks of Love, and I have made it my duty to not only encourage girls to donate their hair, but to also inform people what a difference they can make. The simplest thing, like cutting your hair, could make the fight against cancer a little bit easier for these patients.


Over the break, my dad and I also spent some time to go through and watch Jimmy Valvano and Stuart Scotts' Espy speeches on what it is like to fight cancer and what it takes to beat it. Stuart Scott that night of the Espy's told the audience “When you die, it does not mean that you lose to cancer. You beat cancer by how you live, why you live, and in the manner in which you live.” These words are something EVERYONE should live by. Both speeches spoke a lot about how to live your life at the absolute greatest, and when I visit children in the hospital I hope to share this with them. 

I also have finally had the chance to contact an oncologist, I plan to stay in touch with them in hopes to set times where I can visit children in the hospital. I have been searching and reading about a lot of charities that I could possibly team up with, but I have not decided on one yet. My family and I have chosen to host a volleyball tournament at my school in order to raise money for my charity. I chose volleyball over basketball, because I am more closely related with volleyball and I think more kids will be interested to play in it. I plan to get in touch with the principal and athletic director to see what my options are for this event. 

No comments:

Post a Comment