Sunday, February 8, 2015

2/8/15

This week, my grandma and cousin, my two mentors, took the time to sit down and discuss with me about what it's like to not only be the one fighting cancer but also the one in charge of taking care of the cancer patient. I finally got to understand what being in their shoes was like during the months of my grandma's chemotherapy. I learned that both sides had a tough job that took a lot of time getting used to. When I looked my grandma in the eyes, they were bloodshot red as she turned to my cousin and thanked her for standing by her side through the toughest days and the longest days. This really spoke to me, because it is even more important for me that I spend quality time with the kids in the hospital and get to know them. I plan to call the oncologist again tomorrow and speak with him giving and outline of my plans in the upcoming weeks. On an unrelated note, my volleyball team traveled to Munice, Indiana and went undefeated in a tournament and I've completed segment two for drivers training and it's just a matter of time until my birthday!!

1 comment:

  1. As someone who wants to go into Pediatric Oncology, it's cool to see what others are doing with Cancer and how they deal with certain things. I'm excited to see what comes next! It seems like you have a great support team on your side too, something that not many of us in the class have!

    ReplyDelete